Report: Schlissel and Deloria elected to the Academy of Arts and Sciences

By Emma Kinery, Daily Staff Reporter

Philip Deloria, the Carroll Smith-Rosenberg Collegiate professor of history and American culture and University President Mark Schlissel were elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cambridge, Mass.

The Academy is a prominent institution for independent policy and has a history of prestigious leaders as participants including George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Mead and Martin Luther King Jr. The group aims to use its unique expertise to address global issues.

Schlissel and Deloria add the Academy to a list of other prominent institutions of which they are members.

In 1992, Schlissel became a member of the American Association of Immunologists. Six years later, he was elected into the American Society of Clinical Investigators. In 2013, he was elected as a member of the American Association of Physicians. That year, Schlissel also became a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He is the chair of the Immunobiology Study Section of the National Institutes of Health as well as a member of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Scientific Review Board.

Schlissel is the first University president who is a physician-scientist. The focus of his research has been on the developmental biology of B lymphocytes. His work has led to a greater understanding in the medical world on how genes can cause errors in the formation of antibodies, which can cause leukemia and lymphoma.

In addition to serving as a professor, Deloria has been an associate dean of LSA undergraduate education and the director of the Program in American Culture’s Native American Studies Program. His research is focused on the history of Native Americans, the American West and the environment in the United States.

Previously, Deloria was the president of the American Studies Association, a member of the council of the Organization of American Historians as well as a Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian trustee.