After a meeting attended by more than 100 citizens outraged over the Flint water crisis, the Board of State Canvassers approved a petition to recall Gov. Rick Snyder Monday afternoon.

The approved petition aims to recall Snyder for the creation of the State School Reform/Redesign Office, an office that Snyder initiated in an executive action, and transferred from the Department of Education to be directly under his control. The office aims to create a globally superior education system within the state of Michigan. 

The petition was one of ten others heard by the board, many of which were more directly related to the Flint water crisis. Petitions to recall Snyder on the basis of issues like the appointment of Darnell Earley as emergency manager for Detroit Public Schools after his tenure as Flint emergency manager and his declaration of a state of emergency in Genesee County and Flint. All other petitions were rejected due to either spelling errors or mistated details. 

The approved petition was submitted by Benjamin Lazarus, who not appear at Monday’s meeting to address the board. It will now need to garner 789,133 signatures over a 60-day period sometime in the next 180 days; if it does, voters statewide will see the question on their ballots in the next election. 

Since November 2015, the board has considered about a dozen other petition attempts to recall Snyder, but none had been approved prior to Monday’s meeting.