More and more students are packing their bags to experience college life abroad.

For the second consecutive year, the number of U.S. students studying abroad increased by 15 percent, according to a University release Monday. In 2013-14, the University had 2,719 students earning credit abroad, compared with 2,365 in the 2012-13 school year.

This increase in students abroad raised the University in standings among higher education institutions with the most students overseas. According to the New York based nonprofit, Open Doors report by the Institute of International Education, the University rose from sixth to fifth place. This puts the University behind New York University, the University of Texas, Texas A&M University and the University of Southern California, in that order.

The University considers the Open Doors report is highly regarded and the most complete census of education abroad in the U.S. However, the study does not include students who are not U.S. citizens. It also does not include students who go abroad for noncredit activities, like internships, volunteer projects, research or performances.

If these two categories are taken into consideration, the University has almost double the amount of students abroad as recorded in the Open Doors report. In total, the University had nearly 5,000 students overseas in 2013-14.

The Open Doors report also analyzes the size of the international student body at the University. According to the report, the number of international students grew by 2 percent to 7,423 in the 2014-15 school year. This places the University at 13th overall in the size of its international student population.

With such a large population abroad, the University staffs individuals who assess security situations worldwide, advise students about risk and communicate with them during their travels. One safety measure implemented requires all University travelers to register their travel online in a system that supports emergency response for those abroad.