Music, Theatre & Dance alumni Benj Pasek and Justin Paul received a Golden Globe nomination on Monday for composing the song lyrics for “City of Stars,” a song from the recently released movie “La La Land” starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Pasek and Paul served as joint songwriters for the movie, a dynamic they began as freshmen at the University of the Michigan, according to an interview with the Detroit Free Press.

Both expressed gratitude for their time in the Department of Musical Theatre, as well as for the community of fellow alumni they have found on Broadway.

The kind of values that they instill in that program are ones that really shaped who we are and what we care about, and we feel incredibly lucky to have been there,” Paul said.

They cited the “Maize and Blue on Broadway” event as an example of the strong alumni community at the University.

“Maize and Blue on Broadway” was held this past spring at a theatre in Manhattan. Hundreds of university alumni were in attendance to support Brent Wagner, former chair of the Department of Musical Theatre, who was stepping down after serving in the position for 32 years.

For the event, Pasek and Paul wrote and performed an original song named “Amazing Blue.”

Other projects Pasek and Paul have collaborated on include “Dear Evan Hansen,” a musical that opened on Broadway earlier this month, and “A Christmas Story, the Musical,” which opened on Broadway in 2012 and is showing in Detroit this month.

Upcoming work that will be released by the duo include a number for the animated movie “Trolls” and a movie musical project called “Greatest Showman” starring Hugh Jackman.

Pasek and Paul will find out whether they won the nomination when the Golden Globes premiere on Jan. 8.