Drew Haynam was no ordinary Michigan football fan. Haynam, who passed away on Feb. 26, seriously loved Michigan football — so much so that his family decided to host his calling hours in maize and blue and play the fight song at his funeral. In lieu of flowers, his family asked for donations to be sent to the University of Michigan Alumni Association.

Haynam graduated from John Carroll University in 1979 with a degree in business. He spent a year at Ohio State University and joined a fraternity popular with football players there. According to his daughter, Melissa Libertini, Haynam caused trouble by playing “The Victors,” the University of Michigan’s fight song, in the fraternity house.

“I think he did it just so that when he was in his dorm room one day, or house, he locked himself in his room and started playing the Michigan fight song on his stereo super loud,” Libertini said. “Of course everybody in the house is going crazy, so they had to call his brother and they say, ‘You better come get your brother because he’s about to get the crap beaten out of him if he doesn’t turn this crap off.’”

Libertini remembers Haynam as an easygoing father with a passion for strategizing about Michigan football.

“He had the funniest sense of humor ever, it was just very dry, very sardonic,” Libertini said. “He was obviously a big Michigan football fan. Loved Starbucks coffee, and I don’t know, we always just had really funny conversations, about, especially in recent years — because the Michigan Football team hasn’t been doing so good — just always hypothesizing about what they could do better. Every year, whenever they were doing their recruiting, and he’d find out they would get a good quarterback or some good player recruited. When they got Jim Harbaugh he was super excited.”

According to Libertini, Haynam attended Michigan football games at The Big House as a child. This inspired his love of The Team. 

“I really think it was probably just because it’s the experience he had going to the games as a young kid, just the whole experience of it all,” Libertini said. “The maize and blue. He loved Bob Ufer, the guy who did the sportscasting, he loved that guy. He just loved everything about it, he loved the whole team and the mascot, he loved how the helmets looked, the fight song, the Big House. He just loved it all.”

Libertini said if Haynam could offer any advice to the Michigan Wolverines today, it would be this:

“That they got to get their act together, so they can beat Ohio State this year.”

Libertini spoke of her father’s good character. According to her, he was open to having a conversation with anyone — even if they supported the Buckeyes. 

“He was a really, really nice, easygoing man,” Libertini said. “Even if you were an Ohio State fan, he’d still sit down and talk to you. And he is greatly, greatly missed.”