The University of Michigan and Ohio State University competes with football pads, helmets, and apparently Red Cross nurses and syringes.

The 37th annual Blood Battle between the University and Ohio State is a competition over which college can donate the most pints of blood. The University’s goal this year is 2,500 pints of blood.

According to a mass email from E. Royster Harper, the University’s vice president for student life, sent to students Nov. 8, the University is slightly behind OSU in the donation count.

“The competition is in full force, and we have fallen slightly behind Ohio State in the early drives,” Harper wrote. “Make an appointment to donate at one of our upcoming drives to BEAT OSU and save 3 lives! Our goal is to collect 2500 units of blood, which could potentially save 7500 lives.”

Donors will receive a Blood Battle t-shirt and coupons for local businesses, including Bruegger’s Bagels, Blaze Pizza, Cottage Inn Pizza and Qdoba, while supplies last.

The Red Cross is also offering Rapid Pass, which allows a donor to complete some administrative information before arriving to donate.

Those interested in donating can schedule an appointment at redcrossblood.org and enter the sponsor code “goblue” or call 1 (800) 733-2767. The competition will continue until Nov. 21.