The University of Michigan’s School of Art & Design is now offering a three-credit course designed to make voting “irresistible.” Associate Profs. Stephanie Rowden and Hannah Smotrich teach the new course titled Voting is Sexy.

“Do you believe in the power of voting? Do you want to be part of a super passionate creative team working to make voting irresistible? We need designers, photographers, illustrators, Instagram magicians, pop-up event geniuses, videographers, animators, social media stars, snappy writers, performers, and unabashed political nerds,” the course description on the Stamps website reads. “Students in this team-based class will create a high-energy campaign of pop-up events, posters, video, social media and you name it. You’re going to educate, entertain, motivate, inspire and enliven your peers all the way to the ballot box on November 6, 2018.”

Rowden told WWJ News Radio the class partners Art & Design and Music, Theatre & Dance students to create a campaign of events and media projects and raise awareness for the Nov. 6 election.

“I was looking at the last mid-term election — 2014 — and I noticed that 43 percent of all Michiganders voted but only 14 percent of U of M students turned out to vote in that election,” Rowden said. “I looked at that as a really important civic challenge but also as an artist it’s a really interesting creative challenge.”

Today, the course tweeted a photo of the students’ art installation on the walls of an Art & Design School building to remind University members of the day’s special occasion: National Voter Registration Day.

Other student organizations on campus highlighted opportunities for University members to register to vote. The U-M Museum of Art, in partnership with the Ginsberg Center, offers voter registration in the UMMA Forum every Tuesday until Oct. 9 under UMMA’s VOTE! 2018 initiative. Registration opportunities were also offered Tuesday in Haven Hall until 2 p.m.

Central Student Government President Daniel Greene, a Public Policy senior, reminded students via Twitter to vote in an effort to win the #Big10VotingChallenge, which is an initiative created by University of Michigan students and faculty in which all 14 Big 10 schools will compete for the highest student voter turnout rates in the 2018 election.