The results from LSA Student Government midterm elections were released Friday afternoon, including the selection of 10 representatives for the body. Terms on the assembly last for one year.

Of the 19,668 students enrolled in LSA, 719 students voted online, which is a 3.65-percent voter participation rate. LSA sophomore Daniel Greene led the polls with 257 votes, 85 more than the second-place candidate, LSA freshman Brooke Lennox.

Greene said in an email interview that his campaign advocated for a more expansive, outreaching and diverse LSA Student Government. Candidates also discussed their platforms in a forum Monday night.  

“Too often students are unaware of the difference between LSA SG and CSG — let alone the mere existence of LSA SG,” he wrote. “It’s important especially during the current trying times that student government acts to facilitate productive and educational conversations and interactions on campus. We should also actively work to improve the representation of all students on our campus.”

In his platform, Greene said he would fully support the University’s recently launched Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative and would advocate for more forums about diversity.

“Regardless of one’s race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or political views, we come to the University of Michigan to learn,” he wrote. “And to optimize our learning we need to ensure that all voices are heard because it’s ultimately through honest discourse that perspectives are learned, progress is made, and intellectual curiosity is found.”

Lennox’s online platform emphasized her desire for the creation of basic business classes for LSA students, especially for those uninterested in applying to the Ross School of Business.

“LSA does not include any introductory business classes for those who just want to know a brief overview of the basics of business,” her proposal reads. “Many students are unsure about applying to Ross and I think LSA should offer classes that could help guide unsure students along the correct educational path.”

LSA sophomore Nick Meier, who won a seat with 141 votes, wrote in an email interview he wanted to take a more active role in tackling issues on campus such as making the LSA language requirement achievable through pass/fail. He also emphasized expanding the discussion of mental health on campus through events and classes.

“I want to see a CAPS Embedded counselor on North Campus for LSA students,” he wrote. “I’m going to re-launch the Mental Health Day program but with this time turning it into a week-long event. I want to help figure out ways we can make ‘weeder’ classes more fair.”

Greene also had a similar stance on mental health on campus.

“Although Michigan is nearly infinite in the opportunities it can provide, I feel some of our current processes such as CAPS and academic advising can be transformed into a more humanizing process with minor improvements,” he wrote.

According to LSA senior Joseph Lesada, LSA SG election director, elected representatives have four main responsibilities, including influencing and representing LSA voices in administrative policy affecting students, improving student well-being by way of events like Stress Free Diag Day and protecting the rights of LSA students, such as previous advocacy for gender-neutral housing options.

“LSA SG works with University administration and student organizations to better the Michigan experience on behalf of the Student Body of LSA,” Lesada wrote in an email interview. “LSA SG plans its own events, such as Taste of Michigan, and also co-sponsors events with other student organizations that will benefit the students of LSA.”

Central Student Government also had their elections for LSA representatives over the weekend. However, CSG Election Director Sarah Brenner, a Law School student, explained in an email interview that there was an administrative error that will require a recount.

“The error had to do with the voting system and it prevented voters from entering that election on the second day of voting,” she wrote. “As a result, we are going to re-do the vote for LSA CSG tomorrow and Tuesday, in order to make sure that the students have the full 48-hour timeframe in order to voice their opinion through their vote.”