On Monday from 1 to 7 a.m., a team of eight students at Edible, an Ann Arbor startup, delivered 1,000 care packages across Ann Arbor. The care packages — containing food products and distributed around residential areas, student housing, local businesses and University of Michigan buildings — were part of a new marketing stunt for the app, which aims to help users find local food that accommodates their dietary restrictions.

Edible CEO and co-founder Mike Copley, a University alum, brought the app to market last year with his team, including alum Ish Baid, chief technology officer and co-founder; LSA senior Lucas Ryan, who works with marketing and public relations; and Public Policy junior Elle Shwer, who works with branding and graphic design.

Baid wrote in an email interview the PR scheme proved successful — the app grew by nearly 800 users.  

“We’ve been getting incredible growth,” he wrote. “Numbers are still coming in and we don’t have an exact figure, but we estimate over 1,000 users on campus by end of next week.”

Copley said in December the app crowdsources the information from its users, who list meals they have purchased, highlight the dietary restrictions that are accommodated at the restaurant and review their overall experience.

“It’s almost like Yik Yak the way we set up the feed,” he said. “So it’s just a list of menu items from various restaurants. Each one has upvotes and downvotes.”

Baid added the app caters to a sizable base in Ann Arbor — his team’s research estimates nearly one in four University students have dietary restrictions.