The Ann Arbor District Library is set to resume its contactless pickup service on Dec. 9 following the library’s closure of its five branches on Nov. 15. 

Slots to reserve pickup times will open on Monday, Nov. 30. Pickup service will be available at all five AADL locations, with library lobbies being open for pickup from noon until 8 p.m., seven days a week.

AADL is also implementing contactless locker pickup, which is available outside all AADL locations except for the downtown Ann Arbor branch, according to AADL Library Director Josie Parker.

“They (library customers) select the time, they select how they want to pick it up and the lockers are on the list at those locations,” Parker said. “And so if a person wants a locker, they say what day, and they are given a day to get it out of the locker.”

In a statement on the AADL blog, Parker listed additional service changes that will be implemented after contactless pickup resumes, including improved parking lot wifi and added pickup lockers to the Westgate branch.

Due to reduced staff, AADL will also be suspending Michigan eLibrary Catalog borrowing, shelf service and summer game orders to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. 

“In order to do that, we looked at other staff intensive services that require people within the buildings and can’t be done any other way,” Parker said. “We suspended them, at least for the time being, at least until January, until we know more about what our situation is.”

Parker said AADL’s goals have been to give the community the full array of the library services throughout the pandemic while also keeping the safety of the community and staff in mind. 

The AADL’s December service update can be found at length at AADL.org. For more general information about AADL’s pandemic response, visit AADL.org or call (732)-327-4200. 

Daily Staff Contributor Lara Janosz can be reached at ljanosz@umich.edu.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.