New barber-spa location to open on E. Liberty

By Ian Dillingham, Daily News Editor
and Amia Davis, Daily Staff Reporter

Male Ann Arbor residents can expect a barbershop that does more than the wash-cut-style procedure opening its doors in the near future.

Taylor & Colt, an upscale men’s barber-spa, is expected to open its first U.S. franchise location on East Liberty Street sometime this summer. The Canada-based company currently operates five other locations in the Toronto area.

Inspired by old English barbershops, the company aims to incorporate the environment of a spa salon with a traditional barbershop into one business. The company offers “shave-cut-wash-style” methods for men, hot towel services, laser hair removal, teeth whitening, manicures, pedicures and nail fixes.

The company also offers to its customers complimentary newspapers, iPads, flat screen TVs, Wi-Fi and a coffee and juice bar.

In addition to more unique offerings, the barber-spa will offer many of the traditional hair-styling options students would desire. White said a standard “wash, cut and dry” treatment would likely cost about $35.

“The premise is that it’s going to have a very upscale look to it,” John White, co-manager of the Ann Arbor location and resident of Windsor, Canada, said. “It’s an upscale look without the upscale pricing.”

White said he feels the shop will appeal to Ann Arbor’s dynamic population. He said the mixture of students, staff and community members creates a unique environment that suits their business plans.

“We love Ann Arbor and we know it well,” John White said. “We think it’s a perfect market for what we’re doing … it’s a niche in the market that has never been filled.”

John’s business partner, Thomas White, is a resident of Birmingham, Mich. and a University alum.

Sandy Notten, one of the owners of Campus Barber and Beauty Salon on East William Street, said the company will give male students an alternative option for spa treatment other than the Douglas J Aveda Institute on Maynard Street.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Notten said, “They might do just fine.”

LSA senior Cody Carey said he is apathetic toward the opening of the shop. He also said he is not pleased with the price for the standard “wash, cut and dry” treatment.

“That’s pretty expensive. I wouldn’t pay more than $15 for a haircut,” Carey said.

However, Art & Design freshman JJ del Rosario said the price for the standard haircut is reasonable. He said he would definitely visit the shop in the future.

“I think it’s a good thing, since Ann Arbor doesn’t really have anything like this,” del Rosario said.

White said Taylor & Colt is looking to spread to other locations around the United States in the near future, so the Ann Arbor location is an important stepping-stone for the company.