This year, A Wolverine will be heading to Capitol Hill to participate in ONE Campaign, a program that works to help fight extreme poverty and disease in Africa. 

Sara Isaac, a rising LSA senior, was one of 16 college students selected to serve on the Student Advisory Board of the ONE Campaign and attend the campaign program based in Washington D.C. 

Each year, ONE Campaign selects students from various campaign chapters located at college campuses across the U.S. to participate in the three-day program. Throughout the program, students collaborate with political leaders, activists and others to plan new campaign programs to implement on college campuses. 

According to a press release from campaign leaders, this year’s students were selected because of their skills as on-campus organizers around ONE’s mission of ending extreme poverty. They were also selected because of their eagerness to engage with other students and young people to encourage similar activism.

In a statement, Laurie Moskowitz, who serves as senior director of U.S. Campaigns, said she was excited to hear fresh ideas from this year’s Student Advisory Board. 

“ONE’s Student Advisory Board brings together the best and the brightest of ONE’s student
activists to provide crucial insight and shape the organization’s campus work,” she said. “We’re really excited for this year’s talented Student Advisory Board members to bring their ideas to Washington.”

Isaac currently serves as leader of the University’s chapter of the ONE Campaign, and worked with fellow campaign members to gain Senate co-sponsorship for the Electrify Africa Act, a resolution that could bring electricity to 50 million people living in Sub-Saharan Africa if passed. 

As a member of the advisory board, Isaac, who also served on the board from 2013-2014, will participate in a meeting with members of Congress at Capitol Hill to discuss the resolution. 

In an e-mail to the Daily, Isaac said she was thrilled to find out she was chosen to serve on the board again. 

“It was incredible to discover that I had been selected to serve on the SAB again,” she said. “Lobbying senators on Capitol Hill is extremely gratifying, and having the opportunity to do that is pretty awesome.”

She also said she hopes to use her experiences to educate the University community more about poverty and disease in Africa. 

“The number of people living in extreme poverty (on less than US $1.25 a day) has halved since 1990, thanks largely to organizations like ONE,” she said. “I hope that serving on the SAB gives me the tools I need to help remove the greatest barriers to Africa’s development and prosperity, like lack of electricity, which trap hundreds of millions of people in extreme poverty. I’m excited to educate Michigan’s students and faculty about issues like energy poverty.”

Moskowitz said the efforts of college student activists are vital in ending extreme poverty. 

“College students bring a powerful and passionate voice to the global fight against extreme 
poverty and have made a historic difference in persuading American lawmakers to confront
some of the world’s most difficult challenges,” she said. 

<em>This article has been updated to include statements from Sara Isaac.</em>