Hunter House to open new Ann Arbor location

By Christy Song, Daily Staff Reporter

A Birmingham, Mich. burger spot that has caused food critics coast to coast to salivate is coming to Ann Arbor this spring.

After more than 60 years of serving classic diner food in Birmingham, Hunter House Hamburgers is set to open its second location near Central Campus. Hunter House serves up sliders, chili fries, cheese fries, hot dogs, grilled cheese, breakfast platters and milkshakes.

Its trademark is its style of burger: steamed buns and hamburger patties with chopped onions smashed into the meat. In Birmingham, sliders and small fries are $1.99 each and a chocolate shake is $3.

The new location at 609 E. William St. is about twice the size of the original eatery in Birmingham. Owner Kelly Cobb said this expansion will allow several changes in the menu, such as more milkshake flavors not included in its current offering of chocolate and vegetarian options.

Occupying the former location of Firehouse Subs, which closed in January, the restaurant will be remodeled to look identical to the original eatery. Cobb said he wants to keep the large, open space of the previous sub shop and add countertop seating as well as a take-out window for late-night dining. He anticipates that the space will not be recognizable once renovation is complete.

Cobb said the move to Ann Arbor followed his family’s close ties to the city and the University. His grandmother bought Hunter House in 1981, which his mother now supervises. He and his sister are University alumni.

He added that the location, a block away from the Diag, will allow for a medley of customers.

“It was right between campus and downtown so we could cater to all sorts of people from students to business owners or workers downtown,” Cobb said.

Cobb said he hopes for Hunter House to be a football game day hotspot for those not at the Big House.

“I’m just excited to be back in Ann Arbor, and to be honest with you, I’m excited for game days,” Cobb said.