Hashwi won't run for CSG President

By Amrutha Sivakumar , Daily Staff Reporter

CSG Vice President Omar Hashwi announced during Tuesday night’s Central Student Government Assembly meeting that he would not be running for president of the student assembly.

In an interview after last week’s assembly meeting, Hashwi said he had not made a final decision regarding his presidential candidacy.

“It was a hard decision because I have dedicated three long years to student government and I have put in everything that I have into CSG,” Hashwi said. “But it was time for me to spend one year benefitting my (personal endeavors).”

Hashwi will no longer be involved with CSG after the completion of this academic term. He wants to focus on his business, Stamp.fm. The site promotes artists through an American-Idol-style contest.

Hashwi added that he expects 95 percent of his and CSG President Manish Parikh’s campaign promises to be executed by the end of the academic year.

“Over the course of the year we have worked on double as much as (our campaign promises),” Hashwi said. “The 5 percent left to are all long-term (initiatives), such as investments.”

Students will soon be able to view class syllabi prior to enrollment due to CSG efforts, Hashwi said.

During the assembly meeting, CSG Rep. Chris Mays tweeted that he was “so proud of the progress (Omar) made this year.”

Correction Appended: A previous version of this article misstated that Hashwi had earlier intended to run for presidency