A grease fire ignited in the second floor cafeteria of the University Hospital Tuesday afternoon. The Ann Arbor Fire Department responded to the emergency call and extinguished the fire.

The scene was cleared and all patients and staff were unharmed.

Diane Brown, spokeswoman for the University’s Department of Public Safety and Security, said the fire was extinguished by the fire department, which had to do some exploration in the ductwork of the building to ensure the fire had not spread.

“There was no injuries reported, and I do not believe any other damage than to maybe the grill, but they are still exploring what that dollar value might be,” Brown said.

Entrances to the hospital were closed briefly for air quality assessments in both the UH and the adult Emergency Department.

At about 3 p.m., Reka Farrackand, the Ann Arbor Fire Marshal, issued an all-clear statement for the UH and all normal hospital operations have been resumed. All entrances have been reopened. Brown maintained the fire did not affect patient care.  

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.