The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

Elizabeth Moje, associate dean for research and community education, was confirmed as the new dean of the School of Education by the Board of Regents on Thursday, the University of Michigan announced in a press release.

Moje has served as interim dean since July 2016, after Deborah Loewenberg Ball stepped down after 10 years in the position. Moje has been with the University since 1997 and her new appointment is scheduled to be effective March 1 and is to run through June 30, 2022.

Moje said in the release she looks forward to continuing to focus on developing education professionals and also advancing the University’s role as a leader in education research.

“I look forward to working with my colleagues to continue to advance the School of Education as an international leader in education research and in the preparation of education practitioners and researchers,” Moje said. “Serving as dean is a joy when working with such stellar faculty, expert staff and gifted students.”

Interim Provost Paul Courant, executive vice president for Academic Affairs, said in the press release Moje’s time as interim dean, as well as her commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion makes her ideal for the dean position.

“She has been a strong and effective interim dean, supporting and strengthening the critical work of the school,” Courant said. “Under her leadership, the school has made important contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion in education by developing new programs, expanding outreach activities, and increasing engaged scholarship.”