The Detroit Red Wings condemned a Michigan-based white nationalist group, the Detroit Right Wings, over the use of the hockey team’s logo by the group to propagate their agenda in Virginia this weekend.  

White supremacists marched yesterday on the University of Virginia campus to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee. The group clashed with counterprotesters. A car — driven by James Alex Fields Jr., a 20-year-old Ohio resident, according to the Washington Post — collided with the crowd of demonstrators, at least three people were killed and 19 were wounded, bringing the total number of injured individuals to 34.

The governor of Virginia declared Charlottesville — where the Detroit Red Wings logo was pictured being used — to be in a state of emergency in hopes that additional resources would be used to quell the violence taking place.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/896391184494583808

According to The New York Times, demonstrators were repeating Nazi-era slogans, waving Confederate and Nazi flags and wearing protective gear as they rallied in Emancipation Park. The Times also reported the protests, which involved chants such as “Jews will not replace us,” drew in counter-protesters from local religious groups and Black Lives Matter supporters, among others.

The Detroit Red Wings may seek legal action against the Detroit Right Wings, who subjugated the team’s signature red tire spokes and wing image to use as a symbol for their group.

In a tweet, the hockey team condemned the events that occurred in Charlottesville and underscored their intolerance for hatred and their commitment to inclusivity.

President Donald Trump condemned hatred and urged the nation to reject violence in a press conference Saturday. He was criticized for not directly signaling white supermacist in his response. 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896420822780444672

In a message, postdoctoral fellow Austin McCoy, who studies racial justice, linked the incident to the Trump administration’s intention — dating back to the beginning of August — to sue universities that use affirmative action.

“It is clear that Trump’s presidency, and certain policies like the travel ban, mass deportations of undocumented folks, and the Department of Justice’s desires to sue colleges and universities over affirmative action, have empowered white nationalists to organize, gather, and try to project power,” he wrote.

McCoy wrote the violence, to an extent, contradicted itself. 

“However, their violence, especially that of James Fields, did themselves a disservice,” he wrote. “I think the imagery of their tiki torch march and Saturday’s violence briefly undermined their contradictory claims to white male victimhood and superiority. It is a shame someone had to die for others to see their violent politics.”