A newly elected editor-in-chief and class of managing editors will take charge of The Michigan Daily next semester. The new editors will lead their sections and the newspaper for the 2019 calendar year.

Staff-wide elections determined the incoming editor-in-chief and editorial page editors, while the paper’s management desk selected the new managing editor and the new editor of The Daily’s weekly magazine, The Statement. Staff members in each section elected their respective section editors.

Incoming Editor-in-Chief Maya Goldman, an LSA junior, previously worked as a senior news editor. She emphasized upholding The Daily’s legacy of impactful reporting.

“I’m most excited to continue the amazing legacy of The Michigan Daily and to continue holding the University and all other institutions in this area accountable,” Goldman said.  “I’m also really excited to get to know the other people that work here more. It’s a really special, talented group of incoming editors and I’m really excited to spend this year with them.”

Incoming managing editor Finn Storer, a Public Policy junior, said he was excited to work with Goldman.

“We’re thinking about building The Daily’s brand more on campus and reinvesting ourselves in the community,” Storer said.

Incoming co-managing news editors Grace Kay, an LSA junior, and Elizabeth Lawrence, an LSA sophomore, said they intend to promote more investigative content.

“I don’t think there’s any big things we’re going to change,” Kay said. “We’re just looking to keep the forward momentum of (managing news editors) Sophie and Riyah, keep the pressure on the University by pursuing more longform investigative stories.”

“Like Grace said, we hope to continue our investigative coverage,” Lawrence added. “We want to keep our daily coverage strong, make sure that we’re serving underrepresented communities, being sure to stay on top of coverage, and also just making sure that our news community is cohesive and friendly and having fun in addition to publishing a newspaper.”

The Statement, which focuses on longform pieces, is published weekly. LSA junior Andrea Perez, the new managing Statement editor, said she wanted to give writers more room to work with and shape their ideas.

“My plan for Statement is to be as creative as possible and to allow people more time and space to develop to bring to their ideas with longform journalism,” Perez said.

Co-managing photo editors Alexis Rankin, an LSA junior, and Alec Cohen, an LSA sophomore, also said they plan to encourage their staff to explore more creative outlets.

“I think for photo, something that we want to expand is our multimedia page, which is newly renovated, I guess is the word — reintroduced,” Cohen said. “We want to expand the content on there to feature more of our photographers’ work, especially with news events, more creative arts content.”

Rankin said they hoped to get 8,000 followers on The Daily’s Instagram.

“We’re really going to encourage our photographers to branch out from our typical news coverage and sports coverage to push their creativity and get more involved in the community and kind of give us that content that will be more interactive with our readers to brand the photo section more,” Rankin said. "As well as continue with what we’ve been doing, which is producing high-quality photos to enhance our articles.”

Co-managing sports editors Max Marcovitch, an LSA junior, and Ethan Sears, an LSA sophomore said they had plans for their section, albeit a bit different from the previous editors’ agenda.

“So last year in this interview, the incoming sports editors said that they were going to have big plans, and then they reiterated it and said they were going to have big plans, so we’re going to pull a 180 here and say we’re going to have pragmatic plans — pragmatic, smaller, tangible plans,” Marcovitch said. “We do have one big plan that Ethan can explain.”

Sears picked up and explained the section’s newest “big plan” — launching a podcast.

“We’re starting a podcast for the sports section,” Sears said. “It’s going to be roughly weekly, and we’re really excited to sort of expand to that platform. (It’s) called Highway to Hail.We’re going to get as many people on the podcast as we can, find ways to get creative with it, but we’re thinking once a week, 30 minutes.”

Incoming co-managing podcast editors Catherine Nouhan, an LSA junior, and John Fabian, an LSA junior as well as Engineering sophomore Noah Tappan, who will oversee the video section, expressed a desire to work more closely with other sections of The Daily.

“I think podcast’s goals will really be restructuring and organizing some logistical positions within the section and really creating … some strong leadership roles,” Nouhan said. “We’re going to work with recruitment and gain some more members as well, and I think another goal for us is working in collaboration with other sections and even within the section with our episode, called ‘Arts Interrupted,’ and we just want to, you know, share the literal voices of many different people on campus and really try and collaborate with other sections as well.”

Tappan said he hopes his section could provide more content to complement written reporting.

“I’m excited for video to collaborate with more sections like news and provide supplementary content to highlight other people’s articles, and also just for video to make more videos,” Tappan said. “We want more staff, and we want more production so that we can grow our channel and hopefully get over 1,000 subscribers.”

Co-managing editors of Michigan in Color Carly Ryan, a Public Policy junior, and Nakia Channey, an LSA junior, both said they were excited to expand coverage.

“Some … big plans that we have is that we really want to revamp the capacity that we portray the narratives of students of color on campus,” Channey said. “So a lot of student of color (coverage) really focuses on narrative content. We want to make sure that we’re also being inclusive to creative content as well. We realize that POC (people of color) narratives come in many shapes and forms, and it’s not just narratives — it’s also going to appear in videos and on podcasts and photos and other forms of multimedia expression.”

Ryan and Channey agreed they were excited to see the experiences of students of color portrayed across a broader spectrum.

“Just to say that in different words that are probably worse, people of color are not a monolith, and people of color know how to talk about so many other things than their own identity so we wanted a platform for that,” Ryan said.

Co-social media editor Madalasa Chaudhari, an LSA sophomore, will manage her section with Information junior Carrington Tubman. Chaudhari said she wants to grow social medias role in analytics at The Daily.

“One of the things I’m most excited for the upcoming year is really working on building social media analytics presence in The Daily, integrating us into this whole community atmosphere and so I just kind of wanted to increase engagement in that sense,” she said.

Co-managing web editors Casey Tin, an Information junior, and Hassaan Ali Wattoo, an Engineering sophomore, said a strong recruitment cycle has left the section in a good position to innovate.

“We know we’re going spend our time — me and Casey — improving the website, the app and stuff, so that people inside The Daily are happy with it and people outside The Daily are happy with them,” Wattoo said. “I think that’s our main goal, and then we’re trying to get as much power and authority to the people coming in so they can do what they want because honestly, they’re a lot smarter than we are.”

Tin said she wanted to establish a system to divvy up tasks among staff members.

“I think the main thing that we’re pushing for is delegating work so there is someone held accountable for each project that we work on and being able to document all the stuff that we do so future classes will be able to pick up where we left off because this is the first year without Bob Lesser, so that will be exciting,” Tin said.

Art & Design senior Roseanne Chao will co-manage design with Business sophomore Jack Silberman. She said she wants to encourage more designers to come into The Daily to work.

“Like with you guys, people come in every day because you guys have to, right? But designers can technically work remotely,” Chao said, adding that she wanted people to “get more exposed to the newsroom.”

Co-managing arts editor Arya Naidu, an LSA junior, said she looked forward to working with her co-editors, LSA senior Jack Brandon and LSA junior Verity Sturm.

“I think this next year we’re just hoping to make more special editions and up our interview content and just get people excited about writing for arts,” Naidu said.

Several members of the new class of editors said they would seek to foster a sense of community within their sections and with readers in general. Copy chiefs Miriam Francisco, an LSA junior, and Madeline Turner, an LSA senior, discussed creating a more inviting environment.

“One of our goals is to make copy more friendly and social with each other since, like, just the way the section works, where people will work one or two nights a week, doesn’t really foster community because you often only know the people working on your shift and you could go years without ever even meeting people who happen to not work the same day as you,” Francisco said. “I think we’re going to have and try to make sure that copy hangs out with each other maybe outside of The Daily.”

Turner noted they will also make an effort to pare down the stylebook as well as make it more consistent.

“One of our first goals professionally is making sure that the style guide is more condensed and simplified, or not necessarily simplified, but streamlined because we have a lot of redundant things, like a lack of consistency, so making it easier for our editors,” Turner said.

Co-editorial page editors Joel Danilewitz, an LSA sophomore, and Maggie Mihaylova, an LSA sophomore, discussed maintaining a sense of cohesiveness in their section as well.

“We want to help realize our responsibilities not only as student journalists but humans in this, like, trying time in this country and planet,” Mihaylova said. “We experienced just a really strong sense of community, I would say, this past semester, so we want to provide that also and not only in terms of friendship but we also want to promote that through our writing and what we do, and again, reiterating responsibilities as student journalists.”

Danilewitz emphasized featuring a more expansive array of opinions.

“We want a section that represents the diverse views of our campus, and is also — not only is it diverse, it’s also cohesive, like it all comes together really well,” Danilewitz said.