Saturday, hundreds of students “flew” into the Rogel Ballroom in the University of Michigan Union for the fifth annual Yule Ball, hosted by the Michigan Quidditch Team.

The Yule Ball was a key plot point introducing the concept of romance between characters in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.” It is also an iconic event to “Potterheads,” as the fans are called.

According to the event’s Facebook page, the party included a Great Hall-style feast, reminiscent of the magical dinners of the series. Guests are sorted into Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, danced to music or had their fortunes told. “Formal dress” constituted that of the wizarding world, rather than that of campus. The team encouraged its guests to appear as they would if they were to enter the Hogwarts castle.

“Dress is formal, so break out your wands and dress robes and come ready to party!” the event page states.

The event sold out on Saturday afternoon, which sparked a stream of frantic posts on the Facebook page. Many prospective guests offered to buy extra tickets at more than face value, and some expressed disappointment at the prospect of missing out on the Yule Ball.

Yule Ball-goers also had the opportunity to contribute to the music selection of the event. The event’s DJ, Kinesiology sophomore Kailey Danaher, offered up her playlist to the masses.

“Want to hear your favorite song at the Yule Ball?” she wrote. “Think you can DJ? Well, you can’t DJ, that’s my job. But you can help me by adding songs to this collaborative playlist to make Yule Ball even more magical.”

At its completion, the MQ Yule Ball 2017 Spotify playlist included hits such as “Closer” by The Chainsmokers, “Ignition (Remix)” by R. Kelly, “Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira and “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne.

The Michigan Quidditch Team expressed its gratitude for the overwhelming turnout at its biggest fundraiser of the year.

“Thank you everyone for making the Fifth Annual Yule Ball an amazing success!” the post said. “Hope to see you all next year!”