As a result of crimes occurring near campus in recent weeks, the University of Michigan Department of Public Security and Safety has bolstered security in hopes of preventing future incidents.

University Police spokeswoman Diane Brown said DPSS is taking necessary precautions to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff.

“The University police indeed have increased their patrols particularly in the Central Campus area due to the fact that these incidents have been reported to be right near Central Campus,” she said. “I’m also aware that the Ann Arbor Police have done likewise.”

DPSS has released two crime alerts in the past two weeks, both for incidents classified as ethnic intimidation, a type of hate crime. On the evening of Nov. 11, a student was approached on East William Street near South State Street by a man who demanded she remove her hijab. The man threatened to set her on fire if she did not comply. On Nov. 12, a female student near the intersection of South University Avenue and Washtenaw Avenue was approached by two men who pushed her down a hill after yelling at her about being in America and making religious references.

Brown said DPSS hopes people will contact police as soon as possible upon witnessing an offense to minimize any further threats.

“We are also very attuned to listening for any other reports of suspicious activity and hopeful that people indeed will be contacting police when incidents do occur,” she said. “The sooner they contact police, the more likelihood there is for police to still be able to find perpetrators in whatever location the incident might happen or at least be able to clarify if the suspicious activity is benign.”

A third campus incident, which occurred on the afternoon of Nov. 15 when an unknown man cut a woman’s face with a safety pin on East Liberty Street, is still under investigation, according to Brown. It is currently listed as an assault — not an aggravated assault or ethnic intimidation.

“We’re working with the Ann Arbor Police to monitor any developments that they might have in this incident,” Brown said. “Right now it’s a non-aggravated assault. They haven’t confirmed elements of a hate crime.”