On Feb. 3, a water main break on North Campus led to the cancellation of many classes.

Offices in the Art and Architecture Building closed around 12:30 p.m. and all classes that were scheduled to take place in that building were cancelled for the day.

The flooding was related to a construction project at the Art and Architecture Building, located across the street from Pierpont Commons. According to the University, the water main was accidentally broken by a contractor installing a new water line for the Alfred Taubman Wing Addition. Water is expected to be repaired by tonight. 

Art & Design sophomore Allison Burnell said the impact of the break was evident outside the Art and Architecture Building.

“One of the main water pipes between Pierpont and the art building busted and there was basically a river flowing down the street,” Burnell said. “The bathrooms and sinks don’t have water now so the building is closed for the rest of the day.”

Patricia Hodges, chief of staff for the School of Art & Design, sent multiple e-mails to all Art & Design students notifying them of the flooding.

“We are working to determine if this is a short-term issue or if it will be a longer-term situation requiring an emergency shutdown,” said one of the e-mails.

Brian Zybura, the senior project manager responsible for the construction project, was not available for immediate comment.