Resolution to accept federal funds and collaborate with University on Mcity

The Ann Arbor City Council will consider a resolution Monday in which the city would agree to help maintain, operate, sustain and upgrade Mcity, together with the University’s Board of Regents. In exchange, the federal government will continue to pump federal dollars into the connected vehicle test site.

If passed, the resolution would produce a cooperative agreement between the University’s Transportation Research Institute and the Federal Highway Administration, in which the city would serve as an “external partner” to help upgrade and leverage the recently opened test site.

The resolution calls to accept $79,252 in federal funds to Mcity. The funding would go toward updating the site’s vehicle software, upgrading infrastructure and security and marketing the site to potential application developers and external investors. The aim is for Mcity to eventually become independent of federal support.

In 2010, the United States Department of Transportation approached UMTRI about hosting Mcity, as they wished to “accelerate the introduction and commercialization” of connected vehicles. Mcity officially launched in July.

This resolution requires eight votes to pass.

Resolution to close Thompson Street for the Munger Graduate Residence Hall dedication ceremony

A resolution will be presented Monday night asking for approval to shut down Thompson Street, between East Madison Street and Richard L. Kennedy Drive, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30. The closure is intended to allow for a ceremony marking the opening of the University’s Munger Graduate Residence Hall.

The Munger Graduate Residences opened to nearly 630 graduate students in mid-August. Each individual unit in the residence hall is part of a six- or seven-bedroom suite, in which tenants have their own bathroom, but share kitchen and study space.

The dedication ceremony itself will take place from 2:30 p.m to 4 p.m. but the sponsor of the event, the University’s Office of Development, is requesting the additional street closure time to set up and break down the event.

The initial ceremony will be followed by an open house of the residence hall and will feature speeches by University President Mark Schlissel, University regents and University alum Charles Munger.

Resolution to mitigate sidewalk salt impacts

In response to recommendations by the Pedestrian Safety and Access Task Force, the Environmental Commission is requesting the city limit the use of traditional sidewalk salt by residents.

Council passed a resolution in 2013 that established a Pedestrian Safety and Access Task Force with the aim of exploring ways to improve “pedestrian safety and access in the City of Ann Arbor.”

One of the recommendations the task force proposed was increasing the use of salt-based de-icing compounds to make city sidewalks safer for pedestrians in the winter months.

Following that suggestion, the city’s Environmental Commission requested an environmental impact study of the policy. The study found that using such a level of salt would increase “the salinity of waterways and aquifers and sand entering the stormwater system.”

Monday’s resolution asks the council to explore incentives to “support municipal, business, and resident purchases of environmentally preferable de-icing compounds.”

Monday’s City Council meeting will be held at 7 p.m at Larcom City Hall.