Finals season is upon us. Whether you enjoy spending late nights in the UGLi, or waking up early to hit Hatcher, students across campus may be experiencing more stress as the semester comes to a close. The Michigan Daily has four tips that may provide some much-needed help and support.

1. Eat healthy

Working late into the night and early morning tends to limit snacking options to vending machines and fast food restaurants. When in the 1 a.m. line at Bert’s and looking for a quick fix, students shoudl reach for the banana instead of the donut if they’re looking for better test scores — and research proves it. Researchers at Brigham and Women’s hospital found that a diet in lower fats may improve the ability to perform on memory tests, particularly in women.

2. Visit the CAPS Wellness Zone

What’s better than sitting in a massage chair in the middle of a stressful finals week?

Operating from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Fridays, the Counseling and Psychological Services Wellness Zone has massage chairs, tools for meditation and yoga, an Xbox Kinect system, biofeedback software, seasonal affective disorder light therapy and other wellness resources that students can take advantage of to reduce stress going into exams.

CAPS also offers additional support, and students can set up an appointment with a CAPS adviser here.

3. Exercise

When flooded with final assignments, papers and exams, the last thing a student might want to do is take a jog around the block. However, a study released by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America shows that exercise helps reduce anxiety and calm the nervous system, as well as strengthens one’s immune system. Additionally, strenuous exercise in late afternoon can promote more restful sleep, Michigan Talks reported.

Speaking of which…

4. Get some sleep!

Finals or no finals, the benefits of sleep are proven to be enormous for physical and mental health. In a study, Michigan Talk elaborates on how missing out on sleep may also be linked to depression. If students really can’t get enough sleep at night, taking short naps early on in the day is also shown to be beneficial, according to the National Sleep Foundation.

Have any more tips for surviving finals? Comment below!