The Ann Arbor City Council will meet Thursday to consider resolutions on several topics, including a complaint related to the University fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi, a deer cull, the city’s energy and sustainability and the purchase of vehicles for the Ann Arbor Fire Department.

Possible investigation of fraternity nuisance complaints

Council will vote on whether to approve a resolution that would permit City Attorney Stephen Postema to investigate nuisance complaints at Alpha Sigma Phi’s fraternity house on 920 Baldwin Ave.

The resolution is sponsored by Councilmember Stephen Kunselman (D–Ward 3). On Wednesday, Kunselman told the Daily he wouldn’t comment on the issue until Thursday’s meeting.

Resolution to allow the possession and discharge of weapons in public places for deer cull

The council will also address the city’s deer management program Thursday night, as the representatives will vote on a resolution to allow a temporary moratorium on Chapter 115 of the city code. The chapter prohibits the possession and discharge of weapons in public places, and a temporary moratorium would allow a deer cull in Wards 1 and 2 of Ann Arbor this winter.

The cull would be carried out “at night with noise-suppressed firearms using trained personnel with experience in conducting a cull in an urban setting,” according to Thursday’s meeting agenda.

On Aug. 17, the City Council adopted a deer management program to “reduce human health and safety risks and property damage” caused by deer within city limits.

If the moratorium is approved, the cull will be planned and carried out largely by Wildlife Services, a program within the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

A resolution authorizing the city’s involvement with Wildlife Services will also be presented at Thursday’s meeting.

Amendment to Clean Energy Coalition contract

The council will also consider an amendment to the city’s contract with the Clean Energy Coalition to plan for the city’s approach to sustainability.

The amendment would further many of the goals set forth in the council’s sustainability framework — which was adopted as part of the city’s master plan in February 2013. Out of the 16 goals the framework presents, the amendment seeks to further six of them: energy conservation, sustainable buildings, diverse housing, economic vitality, sustainable energy and engaged community.

Implementing the provisions of the amendment would cost the city $85,000, a sum that was allocated to the operations and maintenance budget when the city’s budget for 2016 was approved.

Resolution for purchase of vehicles for Fire Department use

The council will also consider a resolution to approve the purchase of three midsize sport utility vehicles.

The city would by the cars from the Grand Rapids Berger Chevrolet for a total of $63,129.

All three of the vehicles would be assigned to the Ann Arbor Fire Department. More specifically, two of the cars will be assigned to the assistant fire chiefs so they can “respond to emergency scenes when necessary,” and “travel to and from business meetings and work related events,” according to the agenda item.

The third car will be used by the department’s field operations unit for “transportation of administrative staff … to investigate and respond to issues that arise in the field.”

The city would gift the vehicles to their fire department recipients in lieu of automobile stipends. For that reason, the fire department’s budget will fund the purchases.