The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

Effective Aug. 1, Michael J. Solomon, a professor of chemical engineering at the University of Michigan, has been appointed interim dean of Rackham Graduate School. According to a  press release, Solomon was recommended by Interim Provost Paul Courant to replace Carol A. Fierke who has taken on a new role as the provost and executive vice president of Texas A&M University.

Solomon has worked in the Department of Chemical Engineering since 1997, and achieved full professorship in 2009. Since 2013, he has served as the associate dean for academic programs and initiatives at Rackham.  

Solomon studies complex fluids — mixtures that exist in more than one state of matter and he has worked with 3D confocal microscopy, which is meant to increase resolution of a micrograph, to study gelation and bacterial biofilms.  

In his time at the University, he has been named a recipient of the Henry Russel Award and Faculty Recognition Award, among others.

“I am looking forward to working with my colleagues at Rackham to advance graduate education at the University of Michigan, as well as with the many faculty, staff and students across campus with whom we collaborate and partner,” Solomon said in the release.