The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

The University of Michigan’s Office of Institutional Equity is searching for a new senior director. The move comes after former Title IX Coordinator Pamela Heatlie, whose role also included being associate vice provost for academic and faculty affairs and senior director of the Office for Institutional Equity, stepped down in October.

Heatlie left amid scrutiny of the University of Michigan’s sexual misconduct investigation process.  Heatlie was named the defendant in a sexual misconduct lawsuit regarding a former University student’s expulsion for sexual assault after alleging OIE did not give him due process in the matter. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit ruled against the University, stating the accused can cross-examine their accuser in a University-adjudicated sexual assault case.

Jeffery Frumkin, director of academic human resources, stepped into  the role of interim associate vice provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs and senior director for institutional equity in October to fill in for Heatlie.

According to an article from the University Record, Law professor Christina Whitman will lead the search advisory committee, which will be composed of 12 faculty members and one student. The 12 faculty members come from numerous programs throughout the University, including the  Sexual Assault Prevention and Michigan Medicine.

Before hiring Heatlie, a similar committee was used to aid in the selection of the candidates for the head of the OIE, according to a University press release from November 2016.

The job posting for the position, which was taken down  Jan. 31, states the senior director for institutional equity will “provide leadership and direction in support of diversity, inclusiveness, equal access, equitable treatment, and cultural understanding and competency.”