The University Insider is The Daily’s first faculty and staff-oriented newsletter. This weekly newsletter will give U-M faculty and staff the ability to see the most important issues on campus and in Ann Arbor — particularly those related to administrative decisions — from the perspective of an independent news organization. It will also provide a better understanding of student perspectives.

Monday morning, a revised Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy was sent to students from E. Royster Harper, vice president for Student Life, Howard Saulles, interim director for University Health Service and Wolverine Wellness director Mary Jo Desprez.

“The University of Michigan strives to maintain a campus community free of the adverse effects from the misuse and abuse of alcohol and other drugs,” the email read.

The 13-point plan, which is mandated under the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1991, outlines the health risks of substances such as alcohol, marijuana and prescription drug abuse. It also includes several policy updates which were endorsed by the 2016 Alcohol and Other Drug Biennial Review Committee, as well as treatment programs for substance abuse.

One update to the policy includes the demarcation of campus locations where the use of e-cigarettes is prohibited on campus. E-cigarettes are banned from the premises of the University of Michigan Health System, the Dental School, University Health Service, the seated locations of Michigan Stadium and in University Housing facilities.

Another change included a revision of the policy to reflect the amended medical amnesty law. The policy now states that any minor who voluntarily seeks medical help for themselves or another minor for drug overdose or use of a prescription drug will not be liable under the law. This policy has only applied to alcohol in past years.

The email also emphasized a need to curb alcohol and drug use on campus, as one of the most prominent issues facing colleges.

“Alcohol abuse is the primary national public health issue on college campuses,” the email read. “Alcohol and other drug abuse can cost our community in significant ways including loss of potential, opportunity, health, and even life.”