Thursday, April 17, 2014

Social media director resigns amid allegations

By Adam Rubenfire, Managing News Editor
and Jen Calfas, Daily Staff Reporter
Published December 11, 2012

Jordan Miller, the University's social media director, resigned Monday amid allegations that she lied about acquiring a bachelor's degree. She was the first to hold the position when she was hired in February.

Reddit user citizenthrowawayx alleged in a post Friday that Miller did not acquire a Bachelors of Arts in Journalism from Columbia College Chicago as claimed on her resume. The user posted documents that she had enrolled but not graduated from the institution.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald confirmed Tuesday that the documents posted on Reddit are legitimate.

"The resume you're seeing online is accurate; I've checked that," Fitzgerald said.

William Gregory, a records specialist at Columbia College Chicago, confirmed that Miller did not graduate. According to Gregory, Miller attended the college from the fall of 2000 through fall 2003. However, Miller appears on a program for the college's spring commencement in May 2004.

Due to privacy laws, Gregory said he could not say how many credits Miller still needed to graduate.

Fitzgerald said Miller resigned willingly, and no disciplinary action was taken against her. As social media director, Miller was compensated between $90,000 and $110,000 annually, according to Daily reports.

Miller released a statement to the media Tuesday regarding her resignation, which took effect on Monday.

"My intention was never to deceive the University, but I acknowledge that I made a mistake, and I'm very sorry," Miller said.

Miller did not respond to requests for comment on whether she knew she had known she had not graduated.

Lisa Rudgers, vice president for global communications and strategic initiatives, said in a statement she appreciated Miller's work at the University.

"I appreciate all the talent and insight Jordan Miller brought to elevating the University's social space," Rudgers said. "Her work has been stellar, and she has established a solid foundation from which to build and grow. My thoughts and best wishes are with her."

Fitzgerald said the University intends to fill the vacancy.

"We have every intention of filling that position — what we'll do on an interim basis, we're just starting to sort that out," Fitzgerald said.

He added that it's not yet clear who will oversee the University's social media operations in the meantime.

"This is happening pretty quickly; I don't have the details to tell you who's doing that or how we are doing," Fitzgerald said.

Miller has held nine jobs since 2009, working as a reporter the Ann Arbor News in 2007 and as a lead blogger for Annarbor.com in 2009. She has also created marketing products for Chevrolet, Kotex and Ford.

In her position at the University, Miller curated the “University of Michigan Social Media” Tumblr account, a Facebook account, several Twitter accounts and a Pinterest, among other social profiles. Miller launched the @UmichStudents Twitter account, which features a different University student every week.

In a March email from Rudgers announcing Miller’s new position at the University, she wrote that her 10 years of experience in communications and social media made her a good candidate for the job.

“Jordan has worked as a newspaper reporter and an ad agency professional, and is uniquely situated to bring social media focus to many aspects of University communication efforts,” Rudgers wrote.

The University's Twitter was still being updated mid-Tuesday.

|