Delta Airlines is holding a competition to provide a University of Michigan student a free flight to an educational opportunity abroad. The contest will close on May 12.

Students can apply with an essay answering the question, “Why should Delta assist with your pursuit of education abroad?”

The contest dictates applicants must be in one of the following programs: University of Michigan semester study abroad, summer study abroad, international internships and international volunteer or service programs. 

Since 2015, Delta has worked with nine other colleges along with Michigan, including Michigan State University, Penn State University and Duke University as part of their goals to connect with students, but they already had partnerships with Boston, GIT, University of Georgia, University of Minnesota, University of North Carolina and Syracuse. Other signs of Delta in campus life include career counseling and recruitment. 

Jeff Robertson, then vice president for product development, sky clubs and marketing communications at Delta, said in a 2015 press release Delta hopes to become a partner for college students in a tangible way instead of just spreading their brand. 

“College students are a savvy group of consumers,” Robertson said. “By creating campus and alumni events that incorporate our people, our unmatched focus on customer service, leadership and more, we will give students and alums the opportunity to really get to know our airline.”

University alum Catherine Doyle, who was interning at Delta at the time, said in the release she was hopeful about the relationship between the University and Delta.

“During this internship, it was clear that our campus insight was highly valued and it felt like we really contributed to Delta’s college engagement plans,” Doyle said. “I can’t wait to see all of hard work come to life on campus this fall.”