Students took to State Street to celebrate after Joe Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 presidential election on Saturday.

LSA sophomore Grace Timmer said that after such a close race, it was relieving to see the results this morning and the community support this afternoon.

“I am elated to be here and see all the support for Biden,” Timer said. “It’s amazing after the tight election to see everyone come out and take a deep breath.”

Timmer isn’t the only one who is optimistic. 

President-elect Biden preached hope as he accepted his new job alongside Vice President-elect Kamala Harris before a crowd at Chase Center in Wilmington, Del., Saturday night.

It was the pair’s first public appearance since the Associated Press projected that former Vice President Biden and Sen. Harris, D-Calif., would become the 46th president and 49th vice president of the United States, respectively. 

“With full hearts and steady hands, with faith in America and in each other, with a love of country and a thirst for justice, let us be the nation that we know we can be,” Biden said. “A nation united. A nation strengthened. A nation healed. The United States of America.”

Biden emphasized his commitment to unity during these politically polarizing times and pledged to be a president for all Americans.

“Now for all those of you who voted for President Trump, I understand your disappointment tonight,” Biden said. “I’ve lost a couple of times myself, but now let's give each other a chance.”

While several states are still counting ballots, political analysts have said it is “mathematically, nearly impossible” for Biden’s trajectory in key states to change.  

Harris thanked enthusiastic supporters for their hard work leading into election day. 

“Thank you for turning out in record numbers to make your voices heard,” Harris said. “For four years you marched and organized for equality, justice, for our lives and for our planet; and then you voted.”

Harris acknowledged her historic ascent as the first woman to be elected to the vice presidency.

While I may be the first woman in this office, I will not be the last, because every little girl watching tonight sees that this is a country of possibilities, Harris said.

Harris said the election was a decisive mandate of support for their campaign.

“You delivered a clear message,” Harris said. “You choose hope, unity, decency, science and yes, truth. You choose Joe Biden as the next president of the United States of America.”

Biden broke the record, set in 2008 by former President Barack Obama, for the most votes for a presidential candidate with more than 75 million cast. 

As of Saturday, Americans are still waiting for final tallies from swing states like North Carolina and Georgia since Tuesday evening when polls closed across the country. 

President Donald Trump issued a statement shortly after the Associated Press called the race, refusing to concede, pointing to lawsuits his campaign has filed in battleground states. 

“We all know why Joe Biden is rushing to falsely pose as the winner, and why his media allies are trying so hard to help him: they don’t want the truth to be exposed,” the statement reads. “The simple fact is this election is far from over … Legal votes decide who is president, not the news media.”

The Trump campaign’s lawsuit before the Michigan Court of Claims was dismissed as it is “unlikely to succeed on the merits” and the campaign’s request for immediate relief were denied.

Despite Trump’s baseless claims of fraud and insistence that the election still has not been decided, the former vice president urged the nation to come together in his address Saturday. 

“This is the time to heal in America,” Biden said. “Now that the campaign is over — what is the people’s will? What is our mandate? I believe it is this: Americans have called on us to marshal the forces of decency and the forces of fairness. To marshal the forces of science and the forces of hope in the great battles of our time.”

In Ann Arbor, students shared Harris and Biden’s excitement about the results of the race.

Music, Theatre & Dance sophomore Brock Boze celebrated on State Street this morning and said it was exciting to see everyone come together in a safe way. 

“I’ve been getting about three hours of sleep all week waiting for all this to come in,” Boze said. “… It’s been a really cool experience, everyone is socially distanced and masked up and I am loving the enthusiasm.”

Daily Staff Reporter Alec Cohen contributed reporting.

Daily Staff Reporter Sarah Payne can be reached at paynesm@umich.edu. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.