Mark Franklin Hoeltzel, former University of Michigan doctor, had his medical license permanently revoked following multiple convictions of sexual assault, according to a press release on Friday, Jan. 31 from Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.

“Mr. Hoeltzel repeatedly violated the law and left behind a trail of victims,” Nessel said. “We appreciate the opportunity to work with our partners at LARA to ensure that Mr. Hoeltzel never practices medicine again.”

Hoeltzel formerly worked as a pediatric rheumatologist at Michigan Medicine. He pleaded guilty to the federal conviction of child enticement of a minor in December 2018 and was sentenced to ten years in prison. In January 2019, he received a state conviction of two counts of criminal sexual misconduct. 

In February 2019, the Washtenaw County Trial Court ordered Hoeltzel to pay $10,000 to one of the victims and sentenced him to five to 15 years in prison for a second-degree charge as well as 13 months to two years for the fourth-degree charge. His prison sentences will run concurrently.

Hoeltzel expressed regret for his actions during his sentencing.

“I want to sincerely apologize for my conduct in these cases — apologize to my victims, to the university, to my family and friends,” Hoeltzel said. “I did not honor my role as a physician and have chosen to accept significant punishment for my actions.”

Hoeltzel previously had his license suspended in December 2017 based on allegations of having a sexual relationship with one of his patients and inappropriate messages with a minor. The Attorney General’s office issued a complaint in light of additional allegations in March 2018. In June 2018, the Board of Medicine’s Disciplinary Subcommittee under the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) revoked Hoeltzel’s license for three years. 

The Attorney General’s office issued an administrative complaint against Hoeltzel in May 2019. The disciplinary subcommittee affirmed an agreement to revoke Hoeltzel’s license and fine him $50,000 on Jan. 15. The revocation went into effect on Jan. 16.

Nessel said her office coordinated with LARA in deciding to revoke Hoeltzel’s license. 

LARA Director Orlene Hawks commented on the significance of the revocation of Hoeltzel’s license. 

“We appreciate the efforts of the Attorney General’s office that helped lead to the permanent revocation of Hoeltzel’s license,” Hawks said. “His actions were unconscionable and he will never be able to obtain a medical license in Michigan.”

Reporter Arjun Thakkar can be reached at arjunt@umich.edu