In anticipation of the forthcoming second installment to the “Fifty Shades of Grey” series, ZAYN and Taylor Swift released the music video accompanying their “Fifty Shades Darker” theme song, “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever.” 

Prefaced by a trailer for the film, the “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” music video echoes a similarly steamy mood. Beginning with paparazzi cameras going off and a shot of ZAYN dashing through the rain from his sleek black car into a club, the aesthetic screams mystery. The dark lighting, close-ups of his face and overlay of his sensual vocals work together to build suspense; throughout the first minute of his solo, you’re left wondering where it’s all heading.

And just when the light changes from green to neutral to a dark red, the camera pans across a red wall, smoothly transitioning to a shot of Taylor Swift, signifying her entry into the duet. 

Dressed in a blazer, lingerie and glittery red lipstick, she undoubtedly embodies that of a vixen; her soaring, sprite-like vocals provide contrast to her dark, outward attire, offering an interesting interplay throughout the duration of the video.

Aside from the physical beauty of both Swift and ZAYN, the music video really doesn’t offer anything more than lust in the midst of a lavish setting. There’s barely a narrative other than the two ripping their hair out in desire for one another; the most interesting part of the entire video may be the sparkly red lipstick Swift wears.

The fact that this video serves as promotional material for “Fifty Shades Darker” taints the artistic integrity of it; it feels overly commercially driven, overproduced and extremely contrived. However, despite the intent of the music video, it still remains somewhat enjoyable to watch.