When the new music video for Michael Bublé’s “I Believe in You” opens with two kids shyly watching one another from a distance, it isn’t hard to try to predict where the plot might go from there. The narrative of a young boy and girl growing up alongside one another and falling in love isn’t new,  requiring the video to go beyond the plotline in order to be really appealing.

And, in many respects, it did. The first transition features the boy jumping down from a tree and landing as a teenager, which sets up a pattern of smoothly shot transitions that continues for the rest of the video. He and the girl are shown doing innocuous childhood activities together — riding a bicycle, doing homework — before leaning in for what is presumably their first kiss, which then cuts to a shot of him carrying her over their threshold in a wedding dress.

In every age period, there is a gesture involving flowers. The young boy gives the girl a yellow flower in their backyard; as teenagers, he gives her a pink flower as they are about to kiss; as newlyweds, she holds a similarly pink flower over her head as he carries her. By the end of the video, several years have passed, and the man and the woman have grown old, their mantle filled up with memories of their lives with their children and grandchildren. The now-elderly man gives his wife a box, and she opens it to find flowers, reminding us of all of his gestures of love toward her over the course of their lives.

“I Believe in You” is a lively song at times, and the video echoes this, primarily with the terrific dancing skills of the actors. Derek Hough of “Dancing With the Stars” directed and choreographed the video, and in his starring role as the husband, he brings a life and an energy to the video that dramatically spikes the emotional investment of the viewer. He slides down tables, jumps over the banister of the house’s staircase, and embraces his wife, and all of these come across as effortless expressions of love. Combined with the use of flushed, spring-reminiscent colors and the emphasis on flowers, it is easy to see how this dancing would appeal to people at a time when a film like “La La Land” is so popular.

The video ends with a quick return to the main characters smiling at one another as kids, a cliché but reasonable decision meant to remind the audience of how far they’ve come since the beginning of the song. The boy and the girl aren’t particularly unique or memorable, nor is the plotline at all inventive or something we haven’t seen before. But with the help of some uplifting music and Hough’s choreography skills, the video for the most part succeeds in packing the emotional punch that it set out for.