Think of all the things you’ve ever written. Essay. Journal entry. TikTok comment. What did you write it for? To inform whoever reads it? To release your emotions? To complete the essay that you’ve put off all of Thanksgiving Break? 

There has to be some meaning or reason behind everything that is written because if there isn’t, what’s the purpose of it?

By now, The Michigan Daily has published thousands of articles ranging from sports updates to the opening of new dispensaries on campus, but what holds the most meaning, at least to me, is the writing that comes from Michigan in Color, “an inclusive space by and for people of color.” 

My experience with MiC so far has made me realize I enjoy writing for it because the writing here, to put it shortly, is unique. Unique in that every piece comes from the writers’ experiences and opinions as people of color. Unique in that everyone has a different reason for why they write.

In MiC ME Maya Mokh’s “Why I Joined MiC” she talks about how MiC gives a platform for helping other POC have a voice and a way to share their stories, and she writes to find her voice as an Arab, Muslim woman.

Or in senior Lora Faraj’s “Why I Joined MiC”, she says she writes because of instances in her life where subtle acts of Islamophobia were ignored, and so she hopes to explore a mind that has been told to stay quiet in those instances — her mind.

And in a conversation I had with ME Devak Nanua, I learned that he writes because he does not believe in the narrow perception many people have as to how an Asian American is supposed to act, so he writes to reinvent what being Indian American means to him. 

As these inspiring seniors sadly make their way to the end of their time in MiC, there is a new wave of writers who wish to share their experiences as well.

Freshman Sarah Akaaboune told me that she writes because it gives her a sense of belonging and validity, and that it makes her feel like she takes up a space that promotes good doings and that respects one another.

Freshman Grace Garmo, on the other hand, writes for the desire to learn more about herself through her writing and to connect them to her experiences throughout college. Specifically, she chooses to write for MiC because of how much her cultural identity has shaped her as she struggled with balancing her ethnic values while also being surrounded by American standards. Through writing, she is able to stay true to herself and reflect on how she’s changing while still being able to hold onto these values. 

This goes to show how timeless writing is. Issues that impact POC are ongoing, and with that, writing about the experiences, journeys and struggles are ongoing as well.

Reading what the writers of MiC produce is one of the best ways to learn about the experiences and opinions of POC, which is important as it helps non-POC recognize the privilege they have, which is why I believe the writing from Michigan in Color holds so much meaning. 

And despite the unique reasons for why MiC writers craft articles, in the end, every writer has a common goal: to be heard. 

MiC Columnist Hannah Nguyen can be reached at hannahnn@umich.edu.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.