With the NCAA’s spring signing period set to begin tomorrow, one of the Michigan men’s basketball team’s longtime verbal pledges won’t be signing the dotted line.

According to a report from Sports Illustrated, five-star power forward Isaiah Todd will instead pursue a season of professional basketball before embarking on his NBA career. The report confirms he plans to hire an agent.

Todd committed to the Wolverines in October 2019, but speculation of his potential professional plans carried on. He always spoke highly of first-year Michigan coach Juwan Howard, even likening him to a father figure at one point, but never inked his letter of intent during the early signing period.

In the report, Todd’s mother claimed the pro route is “the best decision for him,” while Todd is quoted as saying the decision is a “no-brainer.”

Todd’s commitment gave the Wolverines their highest-rated pledge since at least 2003 and sparked major momentum for Howard on the recruiting trail. In the ensuing months, the Wolverines landed pledges from four-star center Hunter Dickinson, four-star forward Terrance Williams and three-star forward Jace Howard, while four-star guard Zeb Jackson — who committed to the previous coaching staff — held firm in his pledge.

But now, just 12 hours after losing out five-star guard Josh Christopher, Howard’s first class won’t include a five-star signee. While Todd has not announced which club he plans to sign with, one thing remains clear.

Michigan’s highest-ranked pledge since the turn of the century won’t even play a game in Ann Arbor.