Former Vice President Joe Biden won the Michigan primary by more than 10 percentage points over Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt, on Tuesday. 

Multiple sources called the race at about 9 p.m. with 32 percent of precincts reporting. Biden’s win in Michigan follows a near sweep of Super Tuesday states last week.

The former Vice President spoke in Pennsylvania after winning Michigan, Missouri and Mississippi.

“To all of those who have been counted out, left behind; this is your campaign,” Biden said. “We need you, we want you, and there’s a place in our campaign for each of you. And I want to thank Bernie Sanders and his supporters. We share a common goal and together we will defeat Donald Trump, we will do it together.”

Michigan has 125 delegates, the largest number of all states voting Tuesday, which includes Missouri, Mississippi, North Dakota, Idaho and Washington and will be divided proportionally between Biden and Sanders. The former Vice President was also declared the winner of both the Mississippi and Missouri primaries early Tuesday evening. To win the Democratic nomination, a candidate needs at least 1,991 of the 3,979 pledged delegates.

Following Super Tuesday, a large number of endorsements from Michigan political figures endorsed Biden, including Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist and Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.

Players on the national stage once included Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg. All suspended their presidential campaigns and endorsed Biden. Shortly after CNN declared Biden the winner in Michigan, Missouri and Mississippi, former Presidential candidate Andrew Yang endorsed Biden’s campaign.

Business sophomore Jeh Mory was at the Students for Biden watch party on Tuesday and spoke about the former vice president’s chances of winning the Democratic nomination. 

“I feel pretty optimistic about the future,” Mory said. “These wins are important and going ahead, I think it bodes well for Biden’s chance of getting a delegate majority and getting the nomination.”

Kinesiology junior Courage Ekwonye was also at the Students for Biden watch party. He noted Biden’s appeal to Republicans as well as Democrats. 

“I’m a conservative. I traditionally don’t agree with the majority of Joe Biden’s views, but there’s something about Joe Biden that separates him from the Bernie Sanders wing,” Ekwonye said. “Even though he has ideas outside of the American tradition, he still cares very much about this country. It seems that the Bernie Sanders campaign comes off as not believing in America, but I think Joe Biden believes in America. I think we need a president who is going to be the reset button in our American discourse.”

University alum Efos Idusuye also attended the Students for Biden watch party and spoke about his support for Biden and the need for unity within the Democratic party. 

“Bernie Sanders and Biden supporters are on the same party. I think it’s time for us to unite,” Idusuye said. “At the end, we’re all fighting for the same issues against poverty, against oppression, and other issues.” 

LSA junior Arden Shapiro attended a watch party hosted by Students for Bernie 2020. As polls began to report Biden’s large lead Tuesday night, Shapiro reacted to the results of the Michigan primary.

“I’m just utterly devastated for the organizers who poured everything into this movement … It’s really frustrating and indicative of how fundamentally flawed our system is,” Shapiro said. “I know it’s not over, I’m so you know, I will make sure our members are fighting and phone banking and doing everything we can. Drive to Illinois you know next Tuesday. We’re gonna do everything we can until you know the very very, very end.”

Daily Staff Reporter Sarah Payne can be reached at paynesm@umich.edu