Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a strong supporter of President-elect Joe Biden since the early days of his campaign, will co-chair the Presidential Inaugural Committee, the team tasked with planning the inauguration in Washington, D.C. next month. The Biden-Harris transition team made the announcement Monday morning.

“Kamala and I are honored and grateful to these leaders for joining our inaugural committee as co-chairs and helping to organize a safe inauguration for all Americans,” Biden said about the announcement. “These leaders reflect the strength, spirit, and diversity of America and have always held a steadfast commitment to restoring the soul of the nation, building back the middle class, and unifying the country. We are proud of their support and know they will help plan an inauguration that will reflect our nation’s shared values.”

[display:38295]

The committee will be chaired by Congressman and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond and U.S. Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester.

Whitmer hosted several campaign events for Biden’s presidential campaign, and was also speculated to have been a potential contender for Biden’s running mate. He ultimately awarded the role to Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Cal.

“I am humbled to become a part of the inauguration for President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris as a Co-Chair,” Whitmer said in a statement. “This inauguration will exemplify the strength and resilience our country has demonstrated throughout this entire year and set the stage for how the Biden-Harris Administration will beat the pandemic, create jobs that fuel economic recovery, and unite all Americans.”

Outgoing President Donald Trump’s 2016 inauguration also had ties to the state of Michigan, with University of Michigan Regent Ron Weiser serving as finance chair of the official inaugural committee. Weiser was still serving in that role when he began his term as regent after being elected in 2016. 

Biden’s inauguration will look different from previous ceremonies as the country struggles to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The president-elect has indicated that traditional events will be altered to make safety adjustments, potentially scaling them back and relying more on virtual programming, much like the adjustments the Democratic National Convention implemented this summer. The inauguration is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021.

Daily News Editor Ben Rosenfeld can be reached at bbrosenf@umich.edu

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.