Four individuals were detained in a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement raid in Ypsilanti Wednesday morning, an ICE spokesperson recently confirmed.

ICE spokeswoman Rachel Yow noted in a statement released to The Ann Arbor News the detained individuals were undocumented immigrants. 

“ICE Enforcement and Removal (ERO) officers conducted targeted enforcement actions in the area of Ypsilanti on Wed. morning,” she said in the statement. “During the course of action, ERO officers encountered multiple persons who were illegally in the United States. Four individuals were taken into custody and are currently being detained.”

At the time of publication, Yow had not responded to multiple requests for further comment from The Michigan Daily.

The detainments were initially reported by the Washtenaw Interfaith Coalition for Immigrant Rights, who received calls from residents who had witnessed the detainments.

The raid is the first to take place in Michigan under President Donald Trump’s administration. WICIR co-founder Laura Sanders expects it won’t be the last.

“It’s almost like people are waking up and realizing ICE are coming into our community,” she said in an interview with MLive. “This has been going on for a long time. It’s very likely there is going to be an uptick with Trump’s policies.”

In January, Trump signed an executive order titled “Enhancing Public Safety in the interior of the United States,” which ceases federal grants for “sanctuary jurisdictions” that refuse to assist federal agencies in the identification and detention of undocumented immigrants.

Implementation memos recently released by the Department of Homeland Security broadly expanded the prioritization of undocumented immigrants to be targeted by ICE. 

“The Department no longer will exempt classes or categories of removable aliens from potential enforcement,” one of the memos reads.

Ypsilanti Mayor Amanda Edmonds responded to the raid in a Facebook post Wednesday night, criticizing the agency’s lack of transparency.  

“I am sick about it,” she wrote. “Our Ypsilanti police chief knew nothing about it and checked to verify that the other local law enforcement was also not involved.”

In a statement released Thursday, U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell (D–Dearborn), whose district includes Ypsilanti, also criticized ICE, suggesting it should shift its priorities to immediate threats.

“We are all concerned and actively seeking more answers about reports of increased enforcement activity by ICE in our communities,” she wrote in a press release. “We are hearing that many people are afraid to send their children to school out of fear that they may be arrested and deported. While ICE has an important job to do, their enforcement actions should prioritize people with serious criminal records who pose an immediate threat to the security and safety of our communities … ICE has a responsibility to increase transparency and communicate with local communities about their activities.”