Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., spoke to a room of more than 2,000 people on Super Tuesday evening in Detroit, MI at Eastern Market. 

Warren covered her platform and vision for Michigan, which will hold its primary election next Tuesday, March 10. Additionally, Warren answered questions from the public on specific issues they feel passionate about. 

State Sen. Stephanie Chang, D-Detroit, introduced Warren. 

“Detroit needs a persister,” Chang said. “Someone who will do what it takes to get rid of right to work for less laws. Michigan needs a social justice warrior. Elizabeth Warren is a lot like Detroit. She is scrappy, she never gives up, she hopes for better things and like the phoenix, she will rise.”

Warren began her speech by touching on her status in the race. Prior to Super Tuesday, Warren held 16 of the 533 delegates allocated thus far. She noted the fact that recent voting has been unpredictable.

“Prediction has been a terrible business and the pundits have gotten it wrong over and over,” Warren said. “Cast a vote that will make you proud. Cast a vote from your heart. And vote for the person that you think will make the best president of the United States of America.”

Warren’s plans to make housing more affordable resonated with many members of the crowd, including Detroit resident Jon Zemke. Zemke, who is a University of Michigan alum, said he believes in Warren’s housing policy as a current landlord in the Detroit area.

“Her housing policy says that we need to create more housing in order to drive prices down as opposed to trying to buy everything or rent subsidy everything that the other candidates say.”

A Detroit Public School teacher questioned how Warren planned to make school funding more equitable.

“It’s time for a wealth tax,” Warren said. “It is time in America to say that investing in our children is not just a local obligation, not just a state obligation, it is the obligation of a nation that wants to build a future.”

Maria Santos, a third-year Medical student at the University, attended the rally and said she is invested in Warren’s ideas.

“I really believe in her message,” Santos said. “She says she has a plan for everything and she’s the only one that has given a concrete plan.”

Royal Oak resident Chance Ackley-Smith said Warren’s polling is worrying but remains optimistic about the future.

“Polling has been going very poorly for her,” Ackley-Smith said. “A few years ago nobody thought Donald Trump was viable and look where we ended up. It’s really hard to say and I think we’re in uncharted territory.”

Allyson Pettey, who is an undergraduate student at Wayne State University, said she would support Sanders if Warren were to withdraw from the race, but she still thinks Warren is still a strong candidate.

“I think it’s really difficult because people would rather vote for someone like Joe Biden who is not as deserving as she is because he’s a male,” Pettey said. “But I think that she’s still in it and I applaud her for not dropping out.”

Warren concluded her appearance by energizing the crowd to be part of her campaign in the week leading up to the Michigan primary election. 

“This is the moment in history that we have been called to,” Warren said. “And this moment will not come our way again. This is our moment to choose hope over fear. This is our moment to choose courage over cynicism. This is our moment to dream big, fight hard and win.”

Reporter Alec Cohen can be reached at cohenale@umich.edu.