Miles Macklin/Daily. Buy this photo.

Earlier this week, Michigan seemed to have rounded out its coaching staff with a slew of defensive hires. Then, on Saturday, Brett McMurphy of Stadium Network reported that former Wolverines receiver Ron Bellamy will be replacing offensive line coach Ed Warinner on Michigan’s offensive coaching staff.

It is unclear which position group Bellamy will coach, though 247Sports’ Sam Webb reported that tight ends coach Sherrone Moore will switch to being co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. Former Wolverines’ running back Mike Hart, meanwhile, will coach running backs.

“Ron Bellamy, a former Michigan WR who coached West Bloomfield High School to the state Division I title Saturday, is joining UM’s staff in place of departing OL coach Ed Warinner,” McMurphy tweeted.

Bellamy played at Michigan from 1999 to 2002 before a six-year career in the NFL and NFL Europe.

After his playing career, Bellamy became the head coach at West Bloomfield in 2010. There, he coached four-star running back Donovan Edwards, who committed to Michigan in December. The two won the Division 1 Michigan state championship Saturday afternoon, just hours before the news, with a 41-0 win over Davison High School.

“Big congrats to an amazing coach & even better man @19Bellamy!” offensive coordinator Josh Gattis tweeted after the game.

At West Bloomfield, Bellamy also coached 2023 four-star offensive tackle Amir Herring, a Michigan target.

Warinner’s departure, meanwhile, puts an end to his three-year tenure with the program. He joined the Wolverines’ coaching staff from Minnesota in 2018 and immediately transformed a beleaguered unit into one of the nation’s best. 

Four of his starting linemen from the 2019 team were drafted in the 2020 NFL Draft, including first-round pick Cesar Ruiz and Michael Onwenu, who was selected to the PFWA All-Rookie Team. Right tackle Jalen Mayfield is also expected to be a Day One or Day Two pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.