Michigan state Rep. Yousef Rabhi, D-Ann Arbor, wins the Democratic candidate for state rep. In the 53rd District and is poised to serve his third term in the House of Representatives after the general election in November against Republican Jean Holland. Rabhi was Washtenaw County Commissioner before his time as a state representative and said he is committed to listening to the community. He is endorsed by many progressive lawmakers, including U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel and U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Mich. 

As of 10:30 p.m., Rabhi won the primary election vote against challenger Democrat Sam Larson with 87.57 percent of the votes. 

According to Rabhi’s website, his key platform issues are the environment, the economy, equity and education. During his past two terms in the House, Rabhi has introduced bills to protect essential workers during the pandemic and cosponsored legislation to increase the minimum wage, among other economic legislation. 

Rabhi is also an active proponent of a Green New Deal at the state level and environmental issues in Ann Arbor, creating legislation for these causes during his time in incumbency.

In an interview with The Daily, Rabhi said he is thankful for the voters in Washtenaw County who came out to the polls and those who voted absentee amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I’m overwhelmed by all the support that came from out of the community and I’m grateful for everybody that came out to vote today,” Rabhi said. “I know we’re in the midst of one of the most unprecedented times in our country and to see people show up to the polls (and) also, the volume of absentee ballots that people did really is inspiring. To see that in spite of all of this (uncertainty), people are willing to step up and make sure our democracy was still working.”

Summer Managing News Editor Jasmin Lee can be reached at itsshlee@umich.edu