The Ann Arbor Police Department has reported as many as five of the recent home invasions that began in April may be related.  

The suspect is a white male, 20 to 30 years in age, and 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 9 inches in height. Victims of the invasions reported he was seen in dark clothing and in some instances had his face covered.  A green mask was recovered at the home invaded on the 400 block of South Seventh St. 

A resident of the home on South Seventh Street reported she was asleep on her couch when the intruder attempted to rape her. The woman fought the man off, bit him and screamed. The suspect fled the scene as a family member ran into the room. The female victim was not injured.  

In two other incidents, female residents awoke to the intruder inside their bedrooms. A resident living on the 1000 block of Church St. reported she awoke to the intruder sexually assaulting her. 

Though the number of recent home invasions have incited local alarm, AAPD has stated the recent series of invasions doesn’t indicate an increase in overall break-ins for the city. As the number of recent home invasions have incited local alarm, many University of Michigan students are taking precautionary measures.

Nursing junior Stephanie Shea, who currently lives in Ann Arbor, is taking steps to ensure her and her housemates’ safety in the future.

“The locks and window locks were all replaced after, and moving forward I want to make sure that every house I live in has keys to each bedroom so every individual person can lock up, along with windows that properly shut and lock up,” Shea said. “As of now everyone is just being extra careful about the doors being locked every single time we come or go.”

The Division of Public Safety and Security has encouraged students to lock their doors and windows, keep lights on at night and report any suspicious behavior.

Anyone with information regarding the incidents are asked to call the AAPD tip line at 734-794-6939, or email tips@a2gov.org.