Sunday, April 20, 2014

Teen suspect read Nazi material

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

LEBANON, N.H. (AP) One of two teen-agers charged with killing two Dartmouth College professors apparently had been reading white supremacy and Holocaust revisionism material, ABC News reported yesterday.

Investigators found neo-Nazi literature in the bedroom of suspect Robert Tulloch, 17, "Prime Time Thursday" reported, citing unidentified sources.

Holocaust revisionists believe the slaughter of millions of Jews and others by Nazis never happened.

The German-born professors, Half and Susanne Zantop, were murdered at their Hanover home on Jan. 27, which is Holocaust Remembrance Day in Germany.

Friends have said the Zantops were politically active and believed strongly that Germany should face up to its past.

Tulloch and James Parker, 16, both of Chelsea, Vt., both have been charged with first-degree murder.

Authorities have refused to discuss a motive or any connection between the boys and the victims, who were stabbed repeatedly. Half Zantop, 62, taught earth sciences at Dartmouth, and his wife, Susanne Zantop, 55, was chairwoman of the German studies department.

Tulloch has been returned to New Hampshire. Parker was scheduled to appear Friday in Henry County Superior Court in New Castle, Ind., where he and Tulloch were arrested at a truck stop Monday.

Henry County Prosecutor Kit Crane said he expects Parker to waive his right to further extradition proceedings at the hearing and anticipates authorities will arrange to return Parker to New Hampshire today or tomorrow.

In Chelsea, about 250 people packed into the United Church of Chelsea yesterday night to try to decide what to tell their children about the two hometown suspects.

Some of them wept, said Andy Pomerantz, a local psychiatrist who led the private meeting. "None of us understands this, but it happens."

"The meeting focused on the children of Chelsea," said Pomerantz. "We need to be a source of support for our children."

On Wednesday, an affidavit released by authorities showed that Parker"s father, John Parker, waited about eight hours before notifying police that his son had fled Chelsea. He watched the younger Parker drive away from their Chelsea home in his mother"s car about 3 a.m. last Friday, then followed the boy to the home of Tulloch.

The affidavit, signed by New Hampshire State Police Sgt. Robert Bruno, says the father then returned home and found a note from his son asking him not to alert police.

Parker placed a call to the New Hampshire State Police about 11 a.m., according to the affidavit, triggering a manhunt for the teens that ended Monday.

|