Sushi.come avoids giving the raw deal

BY EMILY FELLOWS
Daily Arts Writer

Sushi.come is more than just a sushi restaurant to its clientele. Located on North University Avenue near State Street, amidst vintage clothing stores and quaint coffee shops, it is easy to understand why customers easily find their niche at Sushi.come.

“This is a great break from dorm food,” said LSA sophomore Brian Lipinski. “It’s not the kind of food you get in the West Quad cafeteria.”

Located inside a strip mall, Sushi.come is spread out into two different rooms separated by a wide corridor, making the restaurant personal yet spacious. One room is an open eating area while the other is a sushi bar with a few tables. Both rooms are eloquently decorated with Japanese fans, umbrellas, portraits and bamboo. Owner Chan Lee describes his restaurant as “open and carefree.”

“Most oriental restaurants are closed. We have a lot of windows and open space so even if there is a lot of people or just a little people in the restaurant, people like the atmosphere,” he said.

Lee added that Sushi.come offers its customers a wide variety of sushi rolls, and explained what makes their rolls stand out from the competition.

“We have 55 kinds of rolls. We try different kinds of new rolls every month because we try to make the best sushi for clients,” said Lee, who added that the Michigan Specialty Roll — a special California roll wrapped in salmon and avocado — is very popular among customers.

One of Sushi.come’s innovations is tempura ice cream. Tempura is a type of Japanese cooking that involves battering and frying vegetables and fish — and in this case, sushi and ice cream.

“Now, (tempura ice cream) is at all the sushi restaurants, but we were the first to have it in Ann Arbor,” said Hosup Lee, a Business senior and a waiter at Sushi.come.

Customers who are really craving sushi, and a lot of it, should come in for lunch specials, especially the Sunday Morning lunch special where, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., clients are offered “all you can eat” sushi for $13.95. On Sunday afternoons, the restaurant is packed with hungry customers filling the plates from a buffet of sushi and edamame — boiled soybeans eaten out of the pod.

Despite the large crowd “all you can eat” attracts, the restaurant’s spacious set-up allows diners to enjoy their Sunday afternoons at Sushi.come. The large buffet is located in the corridor — instead of in the dining area — where customers can choose their sushi and wait in line.

“I used to offer this because they used to not serve lunch in the dorms. Now, everyone comes in for it,” Chan Lee said.

“No one else offers a sushi buffet. I focus on hand rolls but I like everything,” added LSA senior Chris Schinke.

And if gorging yourself on a combination of rice, fish, veggies and seaweed isn’t your style, Sushi.come also offers ample servings that are easy on the wallet. Salad with traditional ginger dressing and miso soup are both offered with every meal.

“Sushi.come is great because it offers a variety of rolls and serves fresh fish at a relatively cheap price,” Rackham student Gerald Pollack said.

Sushi.come also caters to customers who do not like sushi — rice and combined with other ingredients such as avocado, fish and wasabi.

Such options include the chicken teriyaki — a healthy chicken breast flavored with teriyaki sauce and served with rice, soup, salad and steamed vegetables. The menu also includes appetizers such as steamed shrimp dumplings, edamame and much more. There are also delicious soups, salads and noodle dishes. When the variety of food is coupled with the enjoyable atmosphere, the end result is a pleasant dining experience.

“(Dining) is different at Sushi.come because of the friendly atmosphere. You get to know the chefs really well and then they put your picture on the wall. I love the familiar environment,” LSA sophomore Ryan Jaber said.