From staff and wire reports

MARSHFIELD, Wis. — Michigan lineman Adam Stenavich was arrested by his hometown police for disorderly conduct after an incident in a local bar, authorities said yesterday.

No formal charges had been filed against Stenavich, 21, an offensive tackle for the Big Ten champion and Rose Bowl-bound Wolverines.

He was seen by an employee of the Elixir Nite Club urinating on the floor in a second-floor area sometime after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to a police report cited by the Marshfield News-Herald.

The report said Stenavich refused to leave, and one of the club’s owners called police who escorted him outside. Police said he loudly cursed officers and continued disruptive behavior after his arrest.

Police recommended state charges of disorderly conduct. Wood County District Attorney Todd Wolf said his office has a 45-day policy on deciding whether to file criminal charges in such cases.

Marshfield Police Chief Joe Stroik said Stenavich, a friend of Stroik’s family, was an upstanding young man growing up and played with Stroik’s two sons on the Marshfield High School football team.

“From our perspective, depending on the violation committed, it does not matter who you are or what relationships you have,” Stroik said. “Many people make mistakes. Sometimes alcohol plays a part, but people make mistakes. They pay their dues, and hopefully that’s the end of it.”

Michigan sports information director Bruce Madej said team officials had no immediate comment, but said coach Lloyd Carr planned to release a statement today.

“I’m not entirely familiar with the situation,” Michigan athletic director Bill Martin said. “I have heard about that. That would be a matter the athletic department and football program would review and investigate first. I think that’s the stage we are in right now.”

Stenavich could not be reached for comment.