School of Music puts on `9/11: In Rememberance'

BY CHRISTINE LASEK
Daily Fine/Performing Arts Editor

In memory of the tragic events of Sept. 11 2001, the University of Michigan School of Music will be presenting a free concert. "9/11: In Remembrance" will be taking place at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 11, at the Power Center for the Performing Arts. This is to be reminiscent of the community-supported performance presented on Sep.14 last year.

During that dismal time, music helped people all over the nation cope, heal and unite. With this in mind, several groups and individuals from Ann Arbor including the University Symphony Orchestra, University Philharmonic Orchestra, Chamber Choir, University Choir, Orpheus Singers, School of Music faculty as well as singers from the Ann Arbor community, are all coming to perform together for what is sure to be a night of powerful beauty.

The works that will be performed include two pieces that were performed at last year's concert; the hymn-like setting of the Star Spangled Banner by Luigi Zaninelli and the final movement of Mahler's Third Symphony. There will also be a setting of words by Thomas Jefferson, "The God who gave us Life gave us Liberty at the same time," by Randall Thompson, and the Lacrymosa (tears), a movement from Mozart's requiem.

The musical selections were chosen by Professor Kenneth Kiesler, director of University Orchestras, and Professor Jerry Blackstone, Director of University Choirs. They chose these specific pieces because of their spiritual and contemplative qualities, in the hopes that the music would be a reminder that human beings are far more alike than they are differences, and therefore lend hope to the future.

At last year's concert, orchestra musicians as well as singers from the Ann Arbor area were invited to perform alongside the many groups involved in the concert. Because the concert must be held at the Power Center (as Hill Auditorium is under renovation), this invitation has been limited out of necessity to only singers. Any singer from the Ann Arbor area interested in joining this important event is asked to attend a few brief rehearsals, and can call 734-4726 for more information.

"This is not only a concert or a performance, which implies some people giving and others receiving," explains Kiesler. "We are all receiving something. And through music, possibly the greatest expression of the human spirit, we can experience a deep and meaningful sense of community, togetherness, and oneness.

"Music and musicians have always been there at significant moments in the history of humankind. This is such a time.

"Truly, the School of Music lives and breathes for our community as well as for our students."