'M' downs Ferris State 3-2, grabs weekend split

Salam Rida/Daily
Forward Ben Winnett plays against Ferris State at Yost Ice Arena on Saturday, October 29, 2010. Michigan defeats Ferris State 3-2. Buy this photo

BY MARK BURNS
Daily Sports Editor

Following the No. 4 Michigan hockey team’s 3-2 shootout loss at Ferris State on Friday night, coach Red Berenson mentioned he was displeased with the Wolverines’ “compete level” in the game’s first 30 minutes of play. He wanted to see a different performance on Saturday against the Bulldogs, one that included a more complete game.

And that’s just what he got as Michigan defeated Ferris State, 3-2, at Yost Ice Arena.

Wolverine senior forward Scooter Vaughan got the scoring going midway through the first period as he received a pass from freshman Luke Moffatt in the Bulldog end. To the right of goaltender Pat Nagle, Vaughan deposited a wrist shot underneath the bar to give Michigan the early tally.

Three minutes later, sophomore forward Kevin Lynch found himself all alone in front of the Ferris State net, picked up a loose pick and wristed it into a wide open net to give Michigan its first power play goal of the night.

After the intermission, though, Michigan’s intensity dropped off compared to the opening period, and Ferris State got its first goal of the game just minutes into the middle period. But the Wolverines responded just three minutes later as senior forward Carl Hagelin threw a wrist shot on net, with the puck deflecting off a Bulldog defenseman past Nagle to give Michigan a 3-1 lead.

For much of the period, the Wolverines and Bulldogs traded a few isolated chances, but the Bulldogs had the momentum going into the third as Ferris State freshman forward Andy Huff rifled a slap shot over goaltender Bryan Hogan’s glove to cut the Michigan lead in half late in the second.

That’s the way the game would stay as Michigan didn’t allow Ferris State to have a whole lot of chances in the final period.

The Wolverines will return to the ice next weekend as they travel to Alaska for a two-game road series starting Friday night.