Lloyd Carr announces retirement from Michigan Athletic Department

File Photo/Daily
Former Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr celebrates after defeating Ohio State in Ann Arbor to win a trip to the 1998 Rose Bowl. Buy this photo

BY RYAN KARTJE
Managing Editor
Published July 13, 2010

In a press release Tuesday, former head football coach and current associate athletic director Lloyd Carr announced that he will be retiring from the University of Michigan, effective Sept. 1.

Carr's retirement officially marks the end of his 30-year service at Michigan, most of which he spent with the football program. With assistant coaching experience under former Michigan coaches Bo Schembechler and Gary Moeller, Carr was named head football coach in 1995. And in his third year of coaching, Carr became the second Big Ten coach in the conference's history to go undefeated in his third season at the helm — a season in which he led the Wolverines to the program's last national title.

Carr ended his coaching career after the Wolverines' 2008 Capital One Bowl win over Florida, capping his impressive 13-year run at a record of 122-40 and becoming only the third Michigan football coach to win over 100 games.

“Most of all, I am thankful for the young men I coached and for all the memories I have from my time at Michigan," Carr said in the press release.

In addition to his national title and successful run as head football coach, Carr's most notable contribution to the University community may have been through his philanthropy — especially his long-time association with Mott Children's Hospital.

“Lloyd Carr's legacy is an impressive and important part of Michigan's rich history and tradition of excellence in football,” University President Mary Sue Coleman said through the release. “He has served the University as well through his advocacy and passion for a number of philanthropic causes. We are grateful for his long and successful service and wish him well in retirement.”