Valentine’s Day presents a conundrum for those who are single women. With every gift shop, TV show and radio station promoting the glories of couple-hood, what’s left for unattached women?

Girls’ Night Out is the solution to a dreary Valentine’s Day that would otherwise be spent goofing off and studying.

There is no better way to defy the culture that sends out such negative messages for singles on a day that — even though is meant to commemorate the bloody death of Saint Valentine in 269 A.D. — celebrates the joys of having a mate.

So the ladies are gathered, the boys are nowhere to be found, “Independent Woman” by Destiny’s Child is playing in the background and now it’s time to have some fun. It’s imperative to do something that everyone — whether single or taken — enjoys.

Dinner with the girls

The standard staple of most Valentine’s evening plans, dinner out with a bunch of your friends is a sure-fire way to have a great time. Plenty of restaurants on campus have great atmospheres suitable for a fun, fancy-free meal.

Instead of just going out to dinner, spice things up a little bit. Go to a tapas restaurant and share your meal with the girls or go to a different restaurants for each part of the meal. Though the pricier places should probably be avoided since they take Valentine’s Day reservations, more casual restaurants such as Cottage Inn, Pizza House, and Good Time Charley’s most likely will be receptive to larger parties without reservations.

If dinner out doesn’t work for everyone, cook at home. Fondue is always a popular choice or have each girl bring their favorite dish and be ready to pig out.

Seeing a movie

Just because there’s no one to make out with in the back of the theater doesn’t mean you can’t see a good romantic film. The best thing about a movie is that there are two theaters right on campus, you won’t have to worry about reservations and you have several film options to choose from.

If neither of these options sound appealing (or if you want to avoid the sight of cuddly couples altogether), a private party is the way to go. There are numerous ways to have a great time without ever leaving the comfort of your own home.

If you choose to stay in, watch a marathon of movies with a favorite actress or watch an entire season of “Sex and the City” and talk about boys all night. Either way, as long as the gossip is flowing, the night promises to be fun for all.

Slumber Party

This flashback to the middle school parties of our girlhood is a fantastic way to strengthen friendships, revisit your childhood and have a fabulous time in the process.

Cute pajamas, junk food and pizza, scary movies, home makeovers and truth or dare — keep the tradition alive!

Dessert Party

Choose a theme and a place. Deck it out with nice dishes and silverware, candles and music, and then invite all your girlfriends to bring over a dessert dish and have a sugary version of potluck. Cheesecake, cookies, brownies — is there any better way to celebrate being single than with chocolate and your best friends? If you’re looking for an excuse to dress up and feel wonderful, this is the way to do it.

Sex Toy Party

For those of us looking for methods of gratification other than simply chocolate, a sex toy party can provide enough scandalous fun to keep any girl happy even (and especially) if she is single.

The Safe Sex Store on South University Avenue has arrangements that can be made for a sex toy party that is a much more titillating version of your average Tupperware bash. There’s no better way to be a happy and proud single woman than to be comfortably satisfied in your own sexuality.

All of the above suggestions can, and should be, tweaked and combined to fit the personalities of the girls present.

Don’t hesitate to combine dessert with a movie or to theme your slumber party so that everyone arrives in a bikini.

The point of a Girls’ Night Out is to induce happiness and pride in a lifestyle that may not presently include a significant other. Valentine’s Day can be just as happy, and sometimes more so, when you spend it with your best girlfriends.