Korean Culture Show dazzles with a mix of traditional and modern performances

BY MIN KYUNG YOON
Daily Staff Reporter

Performances ranging from Korean traditional drumming and taekwondo, to rock bands and a cappella, showcased a broad range of student talents on the University campus at the annual Korean Students Association Culture Show on Sunday.

Local adopted Korean children staged a traditional Korean drumming performance to open the show. Composed of both elementary and middle school students, the group - which dressed in traditional Korean clothing - was formed in fall 2002 to meet widespread interest among the children.

Another group that performed at the show was Sinaboro, a traditional Korean drumming group that was founded five years ago, and has over 30 members. The group seeks to bring awareness to the University community through "Poongmul," or Korean traditional drumming.

Dressed in traditional clothing, the students' performance was marked by syncopated beats with varying speed. The drumming proved to be one of the highlights of the show.

"I just came to see a cultural show because I have some Korean friends and I came with a friend," LSA sophomore Victoria Adibu said. "Overall the show was good and it was well organized. Taekwondo and drumming were the best."

A traditional Korean martial art known for its high, fast and spinning kicks, taekwondo received widespread enthusiasm from the audience.

Meaning "the art of kicking and punching," Taekwondo focuses on the cultivation of the mind, body and spirit and has been a national sport and pastime in Korea.

"I liked Taekwondo and the a cappella," Business junior Nidhi Singhal said. "The show wasn't just dancing, it was much more diverse."

Through hip-hop and pop music, funKtion displayed a variety of dance moves characterized by spins and speed. Since its debut performance at Festifall 2000, funKtion is known for being a multicultural dance group dedicated to bringing entertainment to the mass.

Formed in the early 1980s, KSA has continuously cultivated an interest in Korean culture and currently has over 200 members.

"It includes Korean-Americans, Korean international students, mixed Koreans, Korean adopted students and non-Korean students interested in Korean culture and tradition," KSA President Hannah Jun said.

The goals of KSA are to increase awareness of Korean culture and tradition to the University community and to educate and inform the public about culturally relevant topics. It also seeks to facilitate communication between members of the Korean and University community, Jun added.

"The KSA Culture Show is a unique opportunity for Korean students and the community to express appreciation for Korean culture and the living character of its tradition," she said.